Sunday, 13 March 2016

Garden Planted 2016

Climate change has shifted us a bit. Spring arrived 2 weeks early this year, but we seem to have less rain so far (and we had less snow this winter too). Therefore, I planted my garden early (tomato transplants May 13th with blankets, the rest direct-seeded May 24th). I don't know which tomatoes are which though! I have "42 day Tomato", "Bush beefsteak" and "starfire improved"... I think.
I also planted 4 "Butternut" squash, 3 "Miniature White" cucumber, 6 "Marketmore" cucumber, and 15 "Styrian Hulless" Pumpkins.
I also planted "Bloomingdale"? spinach, kale (can't remember what kind, but it's heirloom), "Purple Dragon" carrots, "Scarlet Nantes" carrots, "Danvers Half-Long" carrots, "Improved Golden Wax" beans, "Royalty Purple Pod" beans, "Black Seeded Simpson" lettuce, and that's it for the main garden.
My husband planted about 75 hills of potatoes and 30 onions. Our rhubarb and 5 strawberry plants are looking great, as are our 4 raspberry canes. There hasn't been a late frost, so hopefully the wild saskatoons do good this year. We haven't had saskatoons 2 years running, and are desperate for them!
Some things we did NOT plant this year are peas, corn, and herbs. Strange, I know, but I'm pregnant again and wanted veggies that were not only easy-to-care-for, but ones that my family would eat, that were easy to preserve, and some that could be turned into baby food.

No comments:

Post a Comment